From: Jim Rumbaugh <jrumbaug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: clayton goldstein <clay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Mar 4, 2012 8:50 am
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Exhibitions/Competitions ...... what does it take to get harmonica players to show up for an event?

Clay said, "I vote for more music Exhibitions, and less competitions."

real question is, what does it take to get harmonica players to show up for
an event.

We host the WV State Harmonica Championship, and I participate in the Ohio
State Harmonica Championship. Both have offered 1st place $200, 2nd $100,
3rd $50. Last year, Ohio upped 1st to $300 to draw more contestants, but the
extra money did not draw more people.  I now believe, it's not about the
money.

There was the suggestion about making different catagories of competition.
The problem is getting enough people to participate to have catagories.

The "proffesionals" feel it's unfair to compete against anmatuers . The
amatuers don't want to look foolish. Some are too shy to be in the
spotlight.

So, what does it take to get harmonica players to show up for an event?

Jim Rumbaugh