Re: [Harp-L] dial tone pitch

It always has sounded to me like there were two tones, roughly an F and an A, so I looked it up on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dial_tone

The relevant section:

"The modern dial tone varies between countries, being a "buzz" of two interfering tones (350 Hz and 440 Hz, as defined in the Precise Tone Plan) in the North American Numbering Plan (most of North America), and a constant single tone (425 Hz) in most of Europe."

And Winslow is right about the F being a bit flat:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-notenames.htm

But you can tune to the A, if it's 440 you're after ;-)

- Slim.