Re: [Harp-L] Audix Fireball... And other harp mics.

" My current challenge with it is that I am finally reaching the point where I want to learn to incorporate more expressiveness with my hands."

That's an issue for me as well. I do have a kind of solution, though it's gonna take some R&D to get it really useful.

 Bullet mics dont really allow much hand expression, and usually to get it you need to put a mic on a stand. There are two mics that I know of today sold specifically for harp that allow for expressive use of the hands. The Hohner Hoodoo Hand, and the Suzuki MS-100. They're both ring mics, so they're both basically tiny lavalier elements (the Hoodoo is supposedly a condensor), which were designed for onstage theatrical and speaking events.

http://www.suzukimusic.com/harmonicas/accessories/
http://www.hoodoobyhohner.com/

I haven't seen too many reviews on either of these, but the ones I have seen were mixed to lackluster...and not everyone wants to use a wireless.

The thought I had is to take the same setup of the MS-100, possibly with a small V/C on the inline on/off switchbox, and instead of a dynamic or condensor, mount a flat high-Z element to the ring. Something like this...

http://www.harpmicshop.com/servlet/Detail?no=72

or even a tiny crystal like the ones that go in the Shaker Retro Rockets. Something that would fit inside your hand on a ring, but can still be shielded, and allow good tone and expression of hands.

                          Hawkeye Kane
                                                                                                 hawkeyekane@xxxxxxxxx
                                                                                                     Cell: (217)-741-7183
                                                                                                    http://www.hawkeyekane.com/