Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harmonica Otherwise playlist on Spotify

 There was an actual model in the late 1800s early 1900s called the French Harp, my contention is the name stuck, kind of like Band Aid did for bandages.

 I can't speak for the entire South, but Archeological harmonica evidence I've reviewed from Virginia would suggest in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries that most harps in the mid Atlantic South were supplied by Klingenthal makers and not Hohner - who apparently must have been better established in the North - and other things I've seen have given me the impression that Hohner had little control over the U.S. Market until around 1905, so it would make sense to me that another harmonica could have bestowed it's name upon the whole - and it was probably readily accepted for the reason Pat mentioned. My grandmother always called it a French harp.
David

www.elkriverharmonicas.com

Sent from my iPhone