Re: [Harp-L] Hazmats in Hamburg feat. Baker

Ben Bouman wrote (about Wade Schuman with Hazmat Modine):
<He's using a Electro Voice Re10 mic into his wireless system... this goes to his Electro Harmonix HOG ( guitar synthesizer )+ expression pedal + 6 footswitch/preset pedal.
<Most of the times he's using a Fender Bassman for his amplified sound.

Rigs change all the time, of course.  When I saw and sat in with Hazmat Modine at Terra Blues in NYC a couple of years ago, he was using an Audix Fireball mic.

The HOG is not a synthesizer per se; synthesizers are generally equipped with envelope generators, and so far as I know the HOG doesn't have one.  HOG stands for Harmonic Octave Generator, which means that it creates harmonies (including octaves, fifths, etc.) from the original tone.  When I saw Wade at Terra Blues, he was using the HOG's little brother, the POG (Polyphonic Octave Generator), which produces up to three simultaneous octave doubles of the original tone.  The generated tones may be spaced 1-2 octaves up or down.

Either the HOG or the POG make a big sound.  They're a little pricey at $300 new for a POG and $400 new for a HOG, but they do sound big.  I'm still pretty happy with the single-voice pitch shifter in the Digitech RP, but who knows what the future will bring.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick