[Harp-L] Jim Kweskin at McCabe's

Saw Jim Kweskin at McCabe's.   Most of his set was solo, but for a few
songs he brought up a couple of different harmonica players.  They were
both good.   On the first song, "Morning Blues" , they actually played
together and sounded good together.   They were both disciples of Mel Lyman
(in more than one sense of the word!) and, although not on Lyman's level,
 did have some of his tonal qualities.  "Morning Blues" in partcular was
quite enjoyable as was an impromptu, unrehearsed "Undecided" (not an easy
song without overblows, but Mark Spector pulled it off nicely on the fly.)

It turned out I was sitting right next to Jim Kweskin's wife (Mel Lyman's
former wife) Sophie,  and several members of the Lyman "Family" which, I
had no idea has settled in Los Angeles.   If you don't know about Mel "The
American Avatar" Lyman and his "Family", you can read all about on
Wikipedia and elsewhere.   Suffice it to say he was extremely influential
(and I'm not just talking about his harmonica legacy!)

Kweskin put on a very entertaining show which was about 80% jazz standards
done in an unpretentious fingerpickin' style.  His set included "Slow Boat
to China",  "I'm Beginning to See the Light", "Makin Whoopie", "Sophie's
Back in Town" (with thanks to Thelonious Monk!) , "Lazy Bones", and also
some classic Jug Band favorites like "The Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to
Me" and "Papa's on the Housetop".

After the show I got to speak with him a bit.   He said a 50th anniversary
Jug Band Reunion tour is in the works for 2013.with Maria and Geoff Muldaur
and other surviving members.   Perhaps with John Sebastian subbing for Mel
Lyman!