Re: [Harp-L] leather windsavers

Here's a video I posted a while back showing a method used by accordion
technicians to tension and set leather accordion valves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrUKEeQ1UU

Normally, when a valve is old and curled the technician will replace it
with a new one.  New leather harmonica valves are not available as far as I
know, so I adapted the tensioning technique to uncurl the old valve and
reduce excessive stiffness before tensioning it - all shown in the video.

Oil is never applied to accordion valves as it can make them too soft and
can also attract dust - I wouldn't recommend using it on harmonica valves
either.

Shellac is the cement used to set leather valves onto the reedplate.  All
other types of cement clog the leather's nap and prevent it from being
removed and properly reset later on.  Once shellac is thoroughly dry, it
will turn to powder when scraped off the leather, leaving the nap unharmed.

One other tip regarding leather valves: an old Hohner instruction sheet
recommended that after playing, the harmonica should be left standing with
the mouthpiece pointing up, so that the leather valves will dry flat
against the reedplate.  If left on its side, half the valves will dry while
hanging down off the reedplate.

Best regards,
Rick