 From: David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:46 PM
Subject: Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Seydel Chromatic DeLuxe a PREWAR design?

You are right to assume the crack goes all the way through, it usually does. On the Rauner, it went all the way through. It's proved to be a challenging crack because it is so small. I could get a wood splint - I used American Chestnut scrap - in through the top, but not the the bottom, so I used my thumb to apply pressure the push wood glue on the bottom, applied the splint (with glue) at top, then used a piece of wood to push as much glue into the crack from the inside as I could. I always repair comb cracks initially with the harmonica together. I've resisted the impulse to take this chromatic apart. It plays fine. The only thing I'm going to do to it is something Rauner should have done, drill a little bit into the mouthpiece screw holes and enlarge the screw holes to accomodate the Pufferhulsen, the bumper tubes.
I have a sneaking suspicion that this harmonica was never played.

David Payne
www.elkriverharmonicas.com

Elk River Harmonicas Forum now available via Iphone app, www.elkriverharmonicas.com/forum