 From: Joseph Leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Joel Fritz <williemctell@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 9, 2012 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] How the Turboslide actually works

I'm going to assume the reeds are what 'I' like to call suspicious stainless. Like Dave, I am a MacGiver type. I checked around the house one time back when I was making custom knives. I had been surprised to fine that the stainless that I was working with attracted a magnet. Si I checked in the kitchen and found that 7 out of 8 stainless implements WERE magnetic. Except for out flatware (Ecco), most of my chef's knives attracted a magnet. Some where merely that you could hold the knife in your hand and the magnet would stick with enough flux field to hold the magnet in place. Some were so ignoble that you could hold the MAGNET and the knife would hang there. (To me, that's fairly crappy stainless).

Ok, so I found that stuff coming from Sheffield and the U.S. were the least attractive, but stuff from Denmark, Germany, Sweden, Finland, and Japan were VERY attractive. I saw this as a bummer until I realized that (in actuality) you WANT the knives to have more carbon steel than they do nickel and chrome. Why, you say? Well, very good stainless is hard to sharpen well and when it IS sharp, it also looses it's edge quickly. Carbon steel is hard to sharpen but it HOLDS it's edge. So, in conclusion, lesser stainless is actually better for some applications. Now in this case, I think it was to save money BUT we wind up getting the benefit of this faux paux. OR..Brendan does. lolol

smo-joe