Re: [Harp-L] re: critial mistakes

We have a harmonica club here in Melbourne, Australia. A different affair to club whose recording you've posted here Dave, but the social aspects of music performed in the community like this is so often overlooked.
All anyone cares about these days is their wretched careers. I wonder if there is still anything like this mob in the US, or the UK (more likely perhaps) Europe or wherever..??
Take a look at this, and the attached pictures: http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2008/12/19/2451033.htm  The members built the clubhouse with their own hands back in '33. The demographic
of the area has changed a lot in the last twenty years; it was an old docklands industrial area, is across the river mouth from the Melbourne CBD and has a 'village' feel to it. A lot of musicians moved there in the 90s, but that doesn't necessarily mean good things for the club. I'd love to see a resurgence of interest in the club; the harmonica needs a boost like the ukulele has had in recent years. Here's hoping!
RD

>>> David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 7/06/2012 4:38 >>>
I think the critical harmonica mistake is to assume that the recording industry is any indication of the music that is going on in this country. When the harmonica first started to become popular, there was no recording industry. The health of our instrument depends on our boots on the ground. Letting people hear you. Here's on example from last night, the Huntington West Virginia harmonica club. The people who were at the Gino's pub to listen absolutely loved it. This is the kind of thing they did in the 1920s to make it popular and the kind of thing we can do now:
http://hhcwv.com/mp3/gp20120605.mp3

David Payne
www.elkriverharmonicas.com

Elk River Harmonicas Forum now available via Iphone app, www.elkriverharmonicas.com/forum