Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Critical Harmonica Mistakes

My take's kind of half/half on this but agree quite a bit with  Richard.
While I love listening to those Blues and other genres  (Celtic and Country)
of players who are really good -  for a while  - I prefer playing other
kinds of music for myself.

Just yesterday I was testing out a mic system I snagged off EBay (a Kent
(no longer made) thingamajig with mic, which slides over the back of a
chromatic). While I only have a tiny mini-twin Fender amp good enough for my
needs, the Kent mic holder deepens up the sound well enough even for  the
CX-12's which are unfortunately just a bit too fat for it although I  forced them
a bit (it's malleable to a point). I'm going to need to rig  something
--but I like that tone I'm getting so far (or I might try  sending it out to
Greg to update and work on since the tiny mic's cloth's a  bit raggedy):

...it made my playing along with my 3 latest CD acquisitions sound pretty
good even to my own ears:

 Adele's 21 album (on mostly an A and Bb chromatic)..there's a reason  this
girl won 6 or 7 Grammies - she's a throwback to the 60's sound.

Whitney's greatest hits CD.

Lionel Richie: Tuskegee (duets) CD. It's very countrified --most of his big
 hits redone with Country Singers: all fun to play along with (and there's
even  GREAT harp on 'Easy (Like Sunday Morning)' with Willie Nelson --so I'm
 assuming Mickey Raphael. I'm sure diatonics would sound even better.   How
about Deep River Woman --(all slide in on a C chrom)? Don't tell me a Blues
 player can't play that? It's about as country-blues as a song can get and
is  still a cross-over Pop song.

While I still love a lot of the old standards, most of  MY musical  taste
is from the 60's-on (Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, Otis Redding, The Temps,  Ben
E King), to Barbra Streisand and Ray Charles, Dionne Warwick  w/
Bacharach...Simon & Garfunkel. People recognize the songs at Open  Mics and always
compliment me afterwards occasionally asking the name of the  song if they can't
'quite' remember who sang it. They DO always have a spark of  recognition
for the songs even though my tastes can be a bit obscure: Keb Mo's  'Better
Man' to Eva Cassidy's cover of 'Songbird'. For that matter a lot of
Fleetwood Mac's songs were great, as were the Eagles, Bob Seger, Foreigner,  Journey
--the list is so long. As is obvious, I prefer ballads and melody.  Melody
is everything in my world.

You don't have to play songs from a generation you're completely over your
head with--there are tons of good songs out there. Try some you didn't
before  think would fit --surprise yourself. At the very least you won't be
boring your  audiences with the same old, and you don't have to hang a label on
yourself. The songs I play range from R&B, Country, Rock, Big  Ballads,
blues-ified (on chrom) if I'm playing along with others, to big band
standards. ANYthing goes if it sounds good.

Elizabeth

Message: 3