Re: [Harp-L] Critical Harmonica Mistakes

Fertig wrote:

"The third biggest mistake of new harmonica players is having picked an instrument that will, at least for a few years, cause you to be shunned and cast out of society."
 If you intended this jocularly then I'll retract, but if not, I must respectfully agree to disagree with you on this last one Dave.

Shunned and cast out? I've found only the opposite. Every gig I play out, every jam I attend, I get at least two or three people come up and compliment me on my playing, and make mention of how much they love harmonica. A lot of the time, it's someone who goes on to say something about how their dad, their uncle, their grandpa, or someone else close to them played harmonica too.

The only time I've ever felt cast aside was maybe the first two or three months I was playing solidly. A particular local bandleader, whom I considered a good friend and colleague, snubbed me from playing even though the rest of his band wanted me up there. It still irritates me to this day that he did it, but seeing as I wasn't as seasoned then, I'm kinda glad things turned out the way they did. Because now I am (shameless plug here, but trying to prove a point) one of the founding three members of what was voted the best local rock band in our local weekly A&E newspaper in 2011.

Harp is somewhat of an obscure instrument these days, it's true. It's kinda faded into the same realm of accordion and theremin. In a world where electric guitars and R&B and hip-hop arrangements catch the majority of the mainstream ear, the relatively few people keeping harp alive shouldn't be discouraged in their green stages.

Anyone who comes to me interested in learning to play harp I tell them three key things: one, that I myself am self-taught, therefore my teacher sucked and I don't recommend taking lessons from him. Secondly, I tell them to listen to as much harmonica music as they can get their hands on, and try playing along with it in different keyed harps. Thirdly, I point them in the right direction on the web in terms of buying reliable harps, and learning from professionals like Gussow, Barrett, and Levy.

Harp is slowly dying out from the public ear. I've made it my goal to bring it back to the light, especially to people of my generation. Bailey and Gaunt are doing the same thing, and I applaud them both for that.

                          Hawkeye Kane
                                                                                                 hawkeyekane@xxxxxxxxx
                                                                                                     Cell: (217)-741-7183
                                                                                                    www.hawkeyekane.com