Re: [Harp-L] Critical Harmonica Mistakes

"...is having picked an instrument that will, at least for a few years, cause you to be shunned and cast out of society."  HA!! Best advice yet.

I was talking Harmonicas with my Dad the other day. He told me a story of when he went into the Air Force back in 1950. He was on a train from Kansas to Texas and just before the trip he bought himself some sort of chromatic harmonica. He figured he could use it to while away the time. So that's what he did. ...until they hit their first stop, whereupon a fellow passenger nabbed the harp and threw it forcefully out an open window. -chuck

----- Original Message -----
From: David Fertig <drfertig@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 15:29:16 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: [Harp-L] Critical Harmonica Mistakes

As a mostly self-taught player who probably reinforced bad habits for decades, I'd say the most common mistake of new players is to play to loud and too hard; the second mistake is not getting a variety of keys (and different harps) to enhance your adaptability; of your favorite player(s). The third biggest mistake of new harmonica players is having picked an instrument that will, at least for a few years, cause you to be shunned and cast out of society.
Dave "do as I say, not as you do" Fertig

[Harp-L] Critical Harmonica Mistakes
        	Monday, June 4, 2012 6:28 AM

            From:
            "Chuck Linville" <linvillec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

        	To:
        	harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 All, Someone posted recently about the futility of practicing if you
are doing the wrong things. So I thought I would throw out the question;
 what are some critical mistakes that people are prone to make on the
harmonica when practicing? -chuck