Re: [Harp-L] Critical Harmonica Mistakes

Great question, Chuck.

I expect that you will get many differing answers to your question
depending on the emphasis of the player. Some players place an emphasis on
developing one's ears and mind's-ear-to-harp connection. Others place
emphasis on the reading of music. Others yet place an emphasis on the
analysis of music. Each might see the emphasis of the other as a mistake
for beginning players.

With regards to the technical aspects of playing - moving about the harp
and getting good tone - you would probably find more uniformity of opinion.
So far the best technical advice I have picked up is to relax. As one
practices new technique it is important to maintain a relaxed state. One's
technique should be built through a series of steps in which limits are
pushed a bit but not beyond a state of relaxation. Gradually push these
limits always keeping relaxation in mind. Tension can kill technique and
create anxiety associated with playing - not good.

Since I am somewhat of beginner I will be very interested in the responses
to your question.