Re: [Harp-L] Smaller profile chromatic for easier octaves?

On Jun 4, 2012, at 1:04 AM, Dan Hazen wrote:

> Hi all. I have a tough time playing octaves on a standard chromatic (Hohner
> 270).

Uh-huh, I'm listening.

> Are there any with a smaller profile, and closer hole spacing?

You don't want that. Unless you're a Gelfling, your mouth is fairly normal sized and the webs at the corner of your mouth aren't going to be as close as ..say...a child's.
So, unless you're mouth is like that one rock guy and you can swallow a coffee mug, your mouth is normal.

> Tongue blocking those three holes and hitting the octaves is really really awkward

True, but it all comes with comfortability. I use that term in place of practice. You can practice all you want but unless you practice the correct things, it all goes for nought.
The first thing one wants to do is decide what they want to achieve. In your case one of the items seems to be octaves. First thing you want to do is get to familiar with the chromo that it is almost as if it's a part of your face. Make it almost an accoutrament. Like an ear..or a nose. lol

So, hold the chromatic at your waist and raise it to your lips. Do this until you can hit the note you want any time you want it. Always dropping it away from the mouth after a run.
After this, practice double stops. This is where you play out both sides of your mouth using your lip block or tongue block to block out the holes you don't want to play. Do this with 1 note blocked, then 2 notes blocked, then 3, and so forth.

Eventually you WILL be able to do the octaves. Example: On a draw, you have D. F. A, B, D. So, it stands to reason that you need to block 3 notes out of the middle to get a D/D octave tone. The distance covered by the 5 holes is 1.7". I went to the mirror and measures my mouth and even relaxed, it was 1.8" web to web. But HERE's the best. You don't really HAVE to span the entire 1.7". As long as you have at least HALF the outermost holes open, the notes will sound. I extrapolate that to be about 1.5 to 1.6".

> for me. My mouth just ain't that big.

Larry Zelakovitch was a small man that didn't weigh 10 stone. With a small face, small teeth, small mouth, and he was the best there ever was at octaves. Trust me Dan the Man...you can do it.

smokey-joe..Oh, and btw, no smaller profile chromo exists. Seydels are actually farther spread.