[Harp-L] What I have learned so far about Special 20 vs. Lee Oskar vs, Seydel Solist Pro

Hello Harp-L,

Long time musician, new harp player, with yet another opinion about these harps. I am posting this to get some feedback from the community and to give information to anyone else who is going through this "selection process" of harmonicas. So... this is what I have learned thus far about these harmonicas on my journey to become a mediocre harp player. I would like to see if I am off base with my opinion (in your opinion).

Hohner Marine Band Special 20 vs. Tombo Lee Oskar:  First choice would have to be the Special 20.  There is definately a difference in playability of the Special 20 compared to the Lee Oskar. I can tell when I pick up my Lee Oskar by mistake. Although the Lee Oskar is not much bigger to look at, it seems hugely different to my hands and mouth. Although smaller, the Special 20 comb sticks out just a little bit further and seems more comfortable and easier to maneuver. I also don't appreciate the larger numbers on the Lee Oskar. Easier to see from a distance but feels like I am reading brail with my lips. The holes are slightly bigger on the Lee Oskar which may seem to some as an asset but I haven't seen any benefit from this. The biggest thing I have noticed though about these two is the difference in the amount of effort it takes to play. The Lee Oskar is more open and airy and not in a good way. Comparitively, the Special 20 is tighter and takes
 less air and effort to play. I think this alone has great impact on tone and playability. The fact that Lee Oskars are easier to work on and has replaceable reeds adds little benefit over the advantages I have described.

Hohner Special 20 vs. Seydel Solist Pro: Harder choice but again Special 20. Tone wise, the Seydel is, well, richer (not richter). It is heavier and more solid than the Special 20. The best way I could describe it, and the most obvious way, would be to say that the Seydel sounds like a fine wood instrument (because it is) compared to the more plastic sound of the Special 20, noticeably. For guitar players, it is like playing a Martin acoustic guitar compared to an Ovation (round back composite) acoustic guitar. Both can sound good but noticeably different. Barring the discussion on wood swelling and tuning problems and such, the Seydel is a better sounding instrument (IMO). I picked the Special 20 over the Seydel based on playability (and it still sounds awesome). I thought the Seydel was going to be awesome because of the bigger holes with the rounded sides but the drawback is that the comb is not molded as is the plastic Special 20 and does
 not protrude from the body of the harp and is not smooth around the holes. This makes for rather bumpy maneuvering (almost raking your lips), seems to take extra lubing and slows you down. Maye this is less noticeable to more experienced players but it is enough of a difference to me that I would not recommend the Seydel for beginning players. Again, the benefit of the big rounded holes does not not seem of great benefit in ease of playing. Maybe there is some good compromise for a wood comb harp that plays like the Special 20. Opinion?

The Seydel or Hohner Special 20 are both easy choices over the Lee Oskar, in my opinion. I haven't tried any steel or titanium comb/reed harmonicas.

Lastly, I will mention that if you are a beginner and you are trying to make the right sounds and have decent tone, do not get a $5.00 harmonica (like Blues Band). It will only cause you aggravation.

Take Care,
Joe H.