Re: [Harp-L] Sam Friedman

Yeah Dave; I was a little surprised. I've enjoyed what I've heard of Mr.
Fried-person....I'm pretty much  pre-TV era in my musical tastes; I like
old dance music rather than the 'art' stuff. So I don't claim to be an
artistic authority on post bop jazz.
But really, there is so much crap posted here there and everywhere, and
everyone either says nuthin' or is really kind, I was surprised at the
strong reaction to Sam's rendition of 'All Blues'. I am familiar with the
piece, but I wouldn't be making any fine artistic judgements based on my
knowledge.
I just listen to people playing and I like or I don't. Like I said earlier,
there's been eff-all posts on harp-L lately, and it was like poor Sam got
set on by a bunch of bored yobboes in a half-empty bar. I must confess that
on a bad day, I've acted similarly (check the archive!! - word of warning:
don't post while drinking!)
But I want to take this opportunity to say how it always surprises me how
so many players go: 'OK I've been doing Walter and Sonny Boy for the last
thirty years, so now I'm going to advance and play a Miled Davis choon."
Huh!?
Now Dave Naiditch posted a 'blues in 12 keys' demo on the chrom recently,
and very nice too. (there's a man with wide musical tastes- hats off boys
'n' gals)
The 'blues' he played was the sort of thing they were doing back in the
twenties, with the VI II V I turnaround from bar 7 on, and the IV in the
second bar. Also the diminished from the IV to the I.
Now I NEVER hear diatonic players do that; just a staright, old time 20s
blues, like Bessie or Louis. Now wouldn't that be the way to go from down
home roots stuff to something more harmonically advanced?
Apparently not. It's from Walter to Coltrane, it seems.
Reminds me of the jazz scene here in Oz. It's either 'mouldy fig' or modal
Jackson Pollock stuff. It's like ther is 'pure traditional' or 'the future'.
Howsabout some diatonic players trying some Sidney Bechet or George Lewis?
Kinda suits the instrument if you ask me. Mind you, I never post any of my
pathetic efforts in this direction...but 'one of these days, Ethel!'
RD

--
Rick Dempster
EÃâÅResources/Serials