Re: [Harp-L] new pedal- reverb AND delay

Be cautious about buying anything for harmonica that has a digital processor.  Make sure that you can TRY IT OUT before you buy it. I have tried out a number of devices including reverb, harmony generators, pitch correctors, and even my hearing aids that made a mess of harmonica notes.

This gets a little technical, but I think that I know what the problem is.
- Harmonica notes are rich in very high-frequency overtones...more than most other instruments and certainly more than voices.
- The analog waveform must be periodically sampled and digitized to convert it into a series of digital numbers that the processor can work on.
- An analog waveform should be sampled at least twice per cycle of the highest frequency present.
- At lower sampling rates, spurious frequencies not related to the input music can be generated.  This is called "ALIASING"
- Most sound boards run at at 70,000 samples /second.
- Other devices may have lower sampling rates that make harmonica music sound terrible.

I am not saying that any particular device has this problem.  I am saying that you should check out prospective purchases with your harmonica before you buy.

For more information on aliasing, see  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing

Vern