Subject: [Harp-L] Advice on learning to play chromatic

Hey George! - apologies for the delay but I've had a horrible  cough and it
took a while to find my original post....

I actually thought your reply was thoughtful and on track so didn't
necessitate yet another response...didn't realize you were waiting for  one.

In NO way am I disputing your original contention that one might avail
oneself of a good teacher since I too think it's a good idea for many
people...but - there are a lot of folks who simply don't have access  to a teacher
even today (several have mentioned this on Slidemeister  of late/living in
remote areas of the World where there is no one to help), so I  brought up
alternate methods of learning AND the reality that many people  (even very good
players) do simply learn to play on their own.

For me, if I had it to do over I'd wish to have met even one other
harmonica player as a child - and also to have found a good instructor. Can't
rewrite history, though. There simply wasn't anyone around remotely interested
in playing harmonica much less in teaching a mere GIRL-child how to play
(Glasgow of my childhood was not only innately misogynistic but  segregated by
religion as well). Children of my background had very limited  resources so
there was no option but to teach myself.

I've since learned I wasn't alone in growing up thinking I was the only one
 feeling so isolated; perhaps two-thirds of the players I meet had no
instruction  on chromatic yet many of them are phenomenal players. However, most
stuck  with it and didn't stop playing for 30+ years (my main drawback).

I'm strictly an amateur and will remain so, which is absolutely acceptable
to me. I've no ambitions to become a professional player. That wouldn't be
in my  comfort zone. I played in School all the time as a kid and as some
memories come  back I remember even getting some acclaim in elementary school,
especially  around Christmas. Mostly I provided the musical background for
my 2 closest  friends to sing or dance along with when we put on shows for
the neighbours and  went out trick-or-treating on Halloween. In Scotland at
the time we actually did  have to perform for the few sweeties handed out.
That was fun and about as  far as I wished to go.

Again, though...I also believe it depends on the genre of music one aspires
 to. For classical music one undoubtedly should have the best  teacher one
can find/afford (no matter the instrument).  'Fast track'?  Absolutely - but
with the codicil that not every teacher is equal and one should  do their
due diligence to find THE perfect teacher for one's particular needs.  We
have to concede and agree that some teachers can be quite rigid in their
approach, not allowing for any freedom of expression or improvisation (of major
import in my world). For example, I would not be comfortable with a teacher
who  couldn't themselves play by ear and who would teach solely by reading,
while for  someone else this might suit their needs perfectly. It's
difficult enough as an  ear player to try to explain what it means to someone who
doesn't do it, it  would be impossible with an instructor who didn't
comprehend how it  works.

I know far too many really good chromatic (and diatonic) players who
learned to play naturally for it to be accepted that one 'must' be taught. For
that matter, there are people I know who can play piano and guitar
beautifully  without ever having had a lesson on their chosen instrument. My favourite
 musician, jazz guitarist Peter White is one, in fact. Here's a brief
excerpt from his bio:

"His father encouraged him to learn many musical instruments -- recorder,
clarinet, cornet, trombone, violin, harmonica, piano -- but the one
instrument  his dad couldn't help him with was the guitar; _White_
(http://music.aol.com/artist/white/1006586)  was on his own. He  learned to play simple
chords by experimenting and listening with one ear glued  to the radio".

(Peter, btw was presented the Oasis Contemporary Jazz Award as 'Guitarist
of the Year' for 2011 - only one of many such awards he's been given over
the  years).

If I could play music like this without having a formal lesson I'd be a
very happy camper:

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9xrlN9z6k8&feature=related_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9xrlN9z6k8&feature=related)

One size simply doesn't fit all, but we do agree on more than we  differ.:)

As to the Hammond Melodion, I thought you'd especially enjoy a wee anecdote
 from last Monday's GSHC meeting: Val overheard me extolling its virtues to
a  couple of younger blues guys who'd showed a real interest so  persuaded
me to go up to the mic and give a little presentation. I talked about  its
44 bronze phosphor reeds, explained how it looked inside due to your tuning
of 12 reeds at the recent festival, everything we discovered by your
dismantling  of the instrument (it's mic-ing system both internal and external),
the major  differences between this incredible instrument and the older
melodicas; took  some questions and then played 'Let it Be Me' (I hadn't tried it
before but  someone had played that song earlier on guitar, so decided to
give it  a shot). There was a LOT of interest in this amazing instrument which
as we  know is a bit of a cross between a chromatic and a keyboard with a
little  accordion innards thrown in (the reeds). I love it although I'm not
giving up  harmonica. It's simply another 'axe' in my arsenal and I'm still
working  out the breathing patterns for myself - since there are no Teachers
around!  <G>

Best,

Elizabeth

"Message: 7