[Harp-L] RE: Solo tuned harps

I don't understand why more harp players don't  have a solo tuned harp or
two in their case.  If you play with folks who do a little country, hymns or
even standards, it can be a great tool to knock a few simple lines of melody
by ear without bends, overblows, etc.  And, they can be played in positions.
Try playing a little Santana on a diatonic and then on a solo in third.  The
benefits are obvious.

I have explored the lower end of the solo harp market a bit.  The Huang
(Cadet????) is usable with work for practice but not something you would
want to use in public.  The Hohner Marine Band 364 is almost useless as
shipped (at least mine was).  It is a big 12 hole harp that is as leaky as a
barn door.  I gave mine to Mike Peace who sanded the comb to flatten it out,
sealed the comb and then converted it to screw attachment.  It is now a much
better harp but still not my harp of choice because of its brash, raspy
tone.  The little Hering Master Solo is the best of the batch.  It comes
half valved.  I removed the valves on mine and it plays as smooth as glass.
My only complaint is that it so small (not much larger than a standard
diatonic) that it is hard to play.  But, the tone is very good for a lower
end instrument and it is the smoothest playing harmonica in my case.  I have
been talking to Mike Peace about retuning a couple of good quality diatonics
to solo for me and am experimenting with a low end, valveless chromatic.

Bill Kumpe
Tulsa, OK