Re: [Harp-L] Lark

Timothy Kane wrote:
<I believe the Huang Star Performer is Huang's take on the Hohner Golden Melody. It might be what <you're looking for. I know that these were the harp of choice for Norton Buffalo. Anyone know if my <assumption is correct?

The Star Performer is a decent instrument--at least the ones I owned were--but it's not solo-tuned, so it won't satisfy the initial request.

Chromatic harps are essentially solo-tuned if you don't use the slide. When I sat in with Chet Cannon and the Committee in San Diego last year, Chet used a solo-tuned diatonic on a few tunes, and it sounded very much like a chromatic--a great sound, with easier bending, at something like 1/5 the price of a low-end chromatic.  I regret that I don't remember what make and model he was using.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick