Re: [Harp-L] Digitech RP WAS Richard Hunter

John Dekker wrote:
<Very interesting.
<
<Does anyone use a Digitech RP 355 (with patches) with a Epiphone Valve Jr.?

I don't know anyone who does, but if you did, you'd use the RP as a mult-FX device only, i.e. NO amp modeling.  I provide a set of FX-only patches to subscribers for that very purpose, and that set includes a nice selection of delays, reverbs, reverbs + delays, octave doubler or rotary speaker + reverb or delay, etc.--but no amp modeling. I've used this set with my Ron Holmes-modified Crate VC508, which is similar to the Valve Jr., with good results. As I've noted elsewhere, the Digitech RPs (from the RP150 up--in other words, the ones equipped with the latest-generation DNA2 chip) all contain very usable delays and reverbs--in fact, I don't know of a better or more flexible stompbox reverb or delay (let alone reverb AND delay) in that price range ($150 and down).  Add in FX like rotary speaker and octave doubling, and it's a very good deal indeed.

The reason you'd run the RP in FX-only mode with the Valve Jr. (or any other tube amp) is that there's no good reason to add amp modeling on top of an overdriven tube amp. You just get mush.  Mush can be nutritious, as the Little Rascals well knew, but it gets boring pretty quick, and it doesn't play well with the other food groups.  The amp modeling in the Digitechs is great when you want to REPLACE your favorite tube amp on a gig; it's not so useful when you run the RP in front of your favorite tube amp.

The great thing about the RPs is that you can have it both ways.  If you want to use it in front of your favorite tube amp, load up my FX-only set.  If you want to use it instead of the tube amp, load up one of my amp-modeled sets.  Either way you've got great sounds to work with, and it only takes a minute to connect the RP to your computer and load the set you want into it.  I have several sets on my computer now for different kinds of gigs; in fact, whenever I play a gig, I save a copy of the patch set for that gig so I can load it up again whenever I have a similar gig. The RP itself is the size and weight of a hardcover book, and I pack it with me whenever I travel.  It's a lot easier than carrying even a small tube amp like the Valve Jr.

I've changed the title of this thread because, gratifying as it is to see my name in print over and over, at this point it's really about the RPs.

Thanks and regards, (one more time) Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick