RE: [Harp-L] U blocking

I use both U-Block and Tongue-Block . it just depends what you want a
particular part to sound like, at that particular time . I agree with
Michael Rubin's about U-Blocking diatonic high-notes . but again, it depends
how you want those notes to sound . I like to play those notes like Stevie
Wonder attacked them in 'Boogie On Reggae Woman' . but Joe Filisko plays
them tongue-blocked (4th Position) on the Filisko/Noden piece 'I heard The
Angels Sing,' and it's awesome . so, it's more a question of what you want a
particular part to sound like .

In general, I've found that the full tongue-blocked chords sound fuller, and
the same U-Blocked chords sound thinner . but on my piece 'Bongo Boy,' for
instance, (in the DooWatchaDoo CD http://climbjacobsladder.bandcamp.com/ ),
I use both embouchures to construct parts of the main line, because at
different moments in that line I 'wanted' to hear a timbral difference .

Hope that helps .

Warm regards, Paul Messinger/Chapel Hill NC