De : EGS1217@xxxxxxx [mailto:EGS1217@xxxxxxx]
Envoyé : vendredi 13 janvier 2012 02:11
À : jersimuse@xxxxxxxxx
Cc : harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Objet : Re: [Harp-l] Chromatic vis-a-vis Diatonic harps

Nothing stupid at all about your points Jerome, and it isn't the 'harmonica
community' as a whole, only a few misguided people.  Not only do I agree
with your take on this but I've been saying it just slightly differently for
a long time: 'whatever floats your boat' (and satisfies your muse)<G> -

it's why I changed the heading to 'vis-a-vis'.

I also think more players could benefit by expanding their horizons into
other instruments (where possible) since it seems to give one a better
ability to play by ear - and for those who want to read music - a keyboard
can be especially beneficial. Nothing musical is off-limits. Whatever works,
whatever pleases one's ear is all good. There are no 'shoulds' or
'should-nots' when it comes to harmonicas.

Can't imagine why anyone would think a chromatic could be made obsolete for
any reason since its voice is so incredibly unique AS IS that of a diatonic.

I so dislike this idea of 'opposition', just as you do. We've been through
this before and too often for my liking. I don't know where it originates
since most of the players I've known for years don't have this mind-set - in
fact they love and enjoy all types of harmonicas, but each time it behooves
us to make it clear that the majority of players respect all kinds of
harmonicas otherwise these strange ideas tend to gain a foothold.

Nothing pleases me more than watching players usually known for one type of
harmonica taking out another type during a performance and surprising the
audience with their playing. More chromatic players are playing diatonics
and more diatonic players are adding a chromatic to their arsenal. This is
all good - and will help keep the manufacturers in business and continuing
to work to make our instruments just the way we want them.

Elizabeth

"Why one would have to oppose chrom & diatonic ?
These are two different instruments, as you say with two different sounds,
different techniques, etc.

If you like chrom, play chrom, if you like diato, play diato, if you like
both, play both, if you don't have time to play both, then choose the one
you prefer ...

I feel stupid saying that, but at the end I still don't understand why the
harmonica community opposes both instruments.
To me, it sounds a bit like opposing the trumpet with the saxophone.
Who cares ? The only thing that matters is the poem you can sing with your
instrument, isn't it ?

Regards,

Jerome
www.youtube.com/JersiMuse