From: David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Dec 31, 2012 8:38 am
Subject: [Harp-L] Differences between ears

There is a book about the Battle of Outpost Harry in the Korean War by James
Evans, who was commander of Company A, 5th Regimental Combat Team, a company of
about 180 men who successfully defended the outpost from an attack of 15,000
Chinese in June 1953. My grandfather was the company's radio operator.
My grandfather was an incredible musician and he had a remarkable ear. Better
than mine.
The scene I'm about to describe was from the night of June 11 - 12, 1953. Evans,
my grandfather and a jeep driver were traveling to relieve the company defending
the outpost. They were, at this point, separated from the rest of the soldiers
in the trucks behind them. Technically, the book does not say which of the two
this soldier was, but I know how good my grandfather's ear was and thus presume
it was him and will explain this as if it were him.
As they were traveling this Korean backroad between the American and Chinese
lines (the outpost itself was between the lines), these Chinese shells start
pouring in. They jump out of the jeep and dive into a ditch.
Evans explains:
"One soldier in our group had remarkably good ears. Even kneeling in the ditch,
he could hear the incoming. Before I could hear anything, he would cry out "Here
comes another one!" About a second later, my own ears could pick up the roar.
Then, we were shaking and ducking again."

The muzzle velocity of Chinese 122mm howitzer is around 1,800 feet per second -
that's faster than sound, so the shell gets to you before the sound of the gun
firing. Let's say that by the time the shell got near them, it had slowed down
to 1,300 feet per second. About the fastest I can say "here comes another one"
is about a second or so. That's two seconds, minimum and not counting reaction
time, etc.
Hearing it just two seconds early means that shell traveled for at least half a
mile and my grandfather could hear that shell move while everyone else heard
nothing.
My vision isn't that great, I'm farsighted. I've been wearing bifocals since I
was 20 years old, but I also shot a deer once at 300 yards with no scope, just
the stock iron sight on an Enfield rifle. I can see really well far off, but I
can't see a dang thing up close without my bifocals - I can barely read my watch
without them.

I can't imagine hearing being much different than vision in that regard. I would
imagine that just as we all see differently, we hear differently, too.

If I can make it SPAH next year, I would certainly be happy to guinea pig myself
on this stuff. I would really like to do a brass comb vs plastic or something
test.

David Payne
www.elkriverharmonicas.com
www.hetrickharmonica.com