[Harp-L] Differences between ears

I have a couple examples of differences in hearing that relate to the
ability to detect low levels of harmonics/overtones or really high
frequencies.

Back in the early sixties, a lab instructor showed his ability to hear the
added frequencies when distortion occurred in an audio amplifier that was
overdriven slightly.  We (the students) had various instrumentation hooked
up to the output of an audio amplifier (including an oscilloscope, which
gave a very visual display of distortion).  We'd run the audio drive to the
amplifier up and down, observing the point at which distortion could be
detected by the instrumentation.  Our instructor could (out of view of the
instrumentation) tell us exactly at which level the distortion started to be
barely noticeable, just using his ears.  He could hear those additional
tones that creep in when distortion occurs, even at a very low level.  None
of us students could hear it (until the distortion got quite prominent). The
instrumentation verified that his observations regarding the starting point
of distortion were accurate. This guy could probably detect nuances of
difference between harmonicas of various constructions.  Because he could do
this stunt every time.  It really impressed us.  Distortion had to reach a
much higher level before any of us could pick up on it with our ears.

A few years ago, a sound system consultant came to our church to fine tune
the equipment there.  A number of those with interest in the sound system
were there to get some instruction from the consultant.  In the course of
his presentation, he put some high frequency audio tones through the system.
The younger guys were writhing in agony--their ears still had good high
frequency response.  Older guys (me included) didn't hear those high tones
at all.  It was as if they didn't exist.  This made me realize that younger
men and most women probably hear a somewhat different sound than I do, when
I'm playing the harmonica.

Dan

Message: 5