Subject: [Harp-L] was Embossing, now controversy (Long)

Dave: this may come as a surprise (or not), but I've long held (and
written) that I can also hear differences in different materials AND been  jumped
on for it. Specifically for chromatics, though.

I was referring to both combs AND cover plates.

Someone on the Slidemeister board (although I didn't know it at the time
since I bought them on EBay) made in his home workshop beautiful sets of
chromatic wood coverplates out of oak and maple, to fit either a Super 64 or a
280 (he even included extra screws depending on which model you'd bought
them  for). His EBay price was incredibly reasonable. I bid on and won two: A
birds-eye maple set which I haven't yet used and a gorgeous oak set.
They're  STUNNING (and a deeper colour than the maple). But more than that, they
alter  the sound of my Super 64.**

(**he's no longer doing this, btw, deciding that he'd now rather play
chromatic than work in his woodshop, so those of you who want the same kind  of
covers will have to find another source.)

I have several Super 64's. I routinely took two with me (along with my
CX-12's) to the GSHC bi-monthly meetings. The first time I substituted the Oak
coverplates on one--I went up to play and was asked after the song what it
was  I'd been playing--was it a 'new' instrument because its sound was
entirely  different from my usual. This was from really good (older) chromatic
players  sitting just a few feet away who have excellent ears.

~I~ already knew the covers muted the tone of this instrument and wanted to
 get unbiased opinions without prior discussion. Since my chromatic is
usually at  least partially hidden behind the mic and by my long hair, I doubt
any of them  were actually focused on it: most people don't stare at the
player, preferring  to listen intently while looking out the window, or down at
their tables. No one  commented on noticing anything different visually
UNTIL I went over to show  them what it was they'd heard and only then did the
reactions begin:  'Wow, how gorgeous is that'! - and so forth. Of course they
all wanted to know  where to get the same covers and at least 3 of these
people mentioned the  softened-up quality the wood imparted to the 64's usual
'ringing' tone.

Likewise, I'm always aware of Smokey's metal combed chromatic: a reason
I've long-wanted a brass or steel comb, AND I can tell when anyone plays a
Suzuki chromatic. There's a sibilance/tone to them I can hear from rooms  away.

I'D posit that since we're all so different in our bodies and embouchures
and since no one can know just what it is other people can hear, no one can
also decide that another canNOT hear something specific. I do know my
hearing is  far more acute than that of all other members of my family - luckily,
because  it's a fluke: I nearly lost my hearing after bursting my eardrums
on a very bad  plane flight some years ago. Perhaps what the doctor who
saved my hearing  did served to alter my ability to hear nuances? I'm not
certain, I  only know I'm exceedingly grateful to him.

I believe and back up everything you consider 'controversial' here, btw.

Elizabeth

"Message: 3