 From: Eric Miller <miller.eric.t@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2012 7:39 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Special 20s

So, there is something about the special 20 that makes it far and away my
favorite.  It has to do with three things that I've listed* at the end of
this in case anybody cares.  It's mostly physical feel (not sound related)
benefits.

Two questions:
Can one easily convert other Hohner harps (specifically MBs/Blues Harps)
to have the same physical qualities of the Special 20s by changing the
cover plates and/or combs?  (put the guts of another harp into a Spec20
body essentially)

What *other *harps by any manufacturer have similar physical qualities to
the Special 20s?  I *really *hope the Crossover and Manji are on this
list...I hear so many good things about both of these instruments, but if
they are set up like the MB with the comb set back under the covers, that's
a deal killer for me, unless they can be easily modified.

*list at the end of this in case anybody cares.
-  The comb protrudes out generously from under the plates, instead of
being tucked up under them (slightly, like .5mm) like on a MB style harp.
-  The plastic surface is smooth and rounded, and when the plastic is wet,
its like grease.  The MBs wood comb has a bit of a sticky drag to it, and
the front edges of the plate sticking out make the whole thing a little
sharp.
-  The hole spacing seems (to me) a little bigger, and so I can feel the
holes better in both embouchures.
- (this is the only sound benefit I perceive) It may be because my Spec20
is a G harp, but it seems to automatically "stick" nicely on the right
tones when bending when you get close to the right pitch...it jumps to it
and sticks.