[Harp-L] Special 20 vs. Seydel Session Steel?

Scott posted

"My harp of choice for a couple of years has been the Hohner Special 20 but I was
thinking of trying the Seydel Session Steel."

The Seydel Session Steel costs about twice as much as the Special 20, so you'd expect it to be better. I've not played it, however some famous players on this list (e.g. P.T. Gazell) play Seydels, so you won't go wrong.

That said, if you are planning to spend more on your instruments (highly recommended), it is worth looking at the offerings in this price range. For example, the Hohner Crossover, again around twice the cost of the Special 20. I've been mighty impressed with mine. They seem indestructible, are far more responsive than the Special 20, and have great sounding chords.

Likewise, the Suzuki Manji, relatively new on the scene, in the same price range as the Session Steel and the Crossover, is worth a look.

More broadly, for those playing mid priced instruments (Lee Oskars, Special 20s etc), 2013 might be a good time to explore the higher end of the market. The harmonica companies have put themselves out to provide these high end models. They are better than their mid priced counterparts. Much better. They should be in our cases.

We all want to improve. Getting better harmonicas is the best, easiest and fastest tip I can give. You'll immediately sound better, play faster, cleaner, louder etc. Etc...

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays