Re: [Harp-L] Mickey minus Willie

The real test is how the Willie Nelson songbook fits on the harmonica. In the 50s I couldn't stand the sound of Hank William's voice but I loved Patsy Cline's renditions. Again, HW sits well on the harp ... which is really the most important part.

Nowadays, I don't find that HW's voice disturbs me. Maybe I've mellowed ... or maybe my hearing has diminished so that I don't hear high pitches like I did when I was younger.

Phil

On Dec 24, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Mick Zaklan wrote:
> Bart, I just don't care for the guy (Nelson) musically.  And I've tried for
> decades.  I certainly don't begrudge the man his fame.
I feel likewise. And being old, I had heard him from the start, and assumed that
the only reason he was singing was because he was a song writer and they
couldn't GET the songs without letting him sing them. At least now and then. He
is something of an acquired taste and sometimes I enjoy what he's doing,
sometimes I feel like dropping my lower jaw in amazement. Amazement at how he
could have the audacity to sing.
As for the harp on his stuff..? Uh..well, I guess it fits. But I find the heavy
heavy warbling to be annoying. Just my opinion, so it matters not. As for
Georgia on my Mind, check out J'oan Pau Cumellas (from Barthalona). No one has
(as yet) ever..(nor WILL they ever), beat his rendition. Maybe I'm jaded as it
sounds close to my own version ExCEPT better. lolol
smokey-joe