 From: Cara Cooke <cyberharp@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx; Bluegrass Harp list <bluegrassharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass Harmonica

Bill Monroe's point of view was 'I employ you, so you do as I say.  I am
the leader of the band'.  He was responsible for training up a great many
wonderful bluegrass musicians.  He had focus on what he wanted and, through
his determination toward that goal, he taught a lot of young, talented
musicians how to be better than they were when they first started working
for him.  He essentially operated a boot camp for future bluegrass
legends.  It was an honor to be asked to be a Bluegrass Boy, and it was an
opportunity to put your future on track, even if Bill had hired you to play
some instrument other than the one you wanted to play.  With "Bluegrass
Boy" on your resume', you often got audience and opportunity.  However,
Bill was a hard drill sergeant.  Many young players didn't make it through
their first year.  The opportunity to work for Bill always netted a good
result somewhere along the line, though.

Bill's point of view was not unique in music or business, so if Vassar
insisted on playing what Bill didn't want him to play, I expect he was
fired.  He was not the first or the last to be in that situation.