[Harp-L] History of Bluegrass Harmonica

Not to get all definitional on you, but I read recently that the term Bluegrass (meaning the music) didn't happen until 1957, when some writers began borrowing the term to pertain to the music that was similar to that of Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys (Bill named the Boys after the Bluegrass state of Kentucky as most of you probably know). You have the whole continuum of "Hillbilly", "Old-Time Country Music", etc.   Smithsonian/Folkways' "Mountain Music Bluegrass Style" released in 1959 contains a version of Fox Chase, but if I recall,most of the harmonica on that album is used more as a novelty than as an actual "break" instrument, so I think you could consider Charlie McCoy the first to record with what became the "standard" Bluegrass band instrumentation of bass, guitar, banjo, mandolin, and (generally) fiddle with those instruments used as both rhythm and SOLO instruments. BUT- the harmonica was used as a solo instrument prominently in many proto-Bluegrass bands that recorded from the 1920's on, often in conjunction with three-finger style banjo (Garley and Gwen Foster both played with Dock Walsh in a band called the "The  Carolina Tarheels" which also featured Clarence Ashley). For me, Bluegrass "jelled" with the 1948 Monroe band when Earl Scruggs joined the band with HIS version on three finger style banjo. There are those (among them, banjoist extraordinaire Butch Robbins),  who feel that Earl's style was just an extension of a style already in existence, but IMHO Earl's innovations were a quantum leap. Previous versions of the three finger banjo playing tended either to be rather amorphous syncopated rolls or jerky/clunky, "make or break" pinches-neither one of which the clear rhythmic momentum for which Bluegrass is noted. Jesse McReynolds said, "The banjo IS Bluegrass" and many of us would agree. However, just as in other forms of music, personal and professional rivalries play a part in Bluegrass music, and Bill Monroe, who soon found himself overshadowed by the popularity of Flatt & Scruggs, said, "The FIDDLE is Bluegrass." (though after Earl Scruggs left his band, Monroe always featured a Scruggs syle banjo player in his bands).  George Pegram and Dock Walsh both played in the styles from which Scruggs style evolved, but once again, IMHO, were in turn influenced post-1948 by Earl Scruggs. "Pickin' and Blowin"", the album John Kerhoven mentioned is great! The two of them (Red Parham and George Pegram) sound like an entire band! Though this album is very rare, through an odd set of circumstances I've ended up with THREE copies, two of which will appear on Ebay when I get around to it.
Woman is 57 But Looks 27
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/50cb8ef26b356ef22eacst02vuc