Subject: [Harp-L] young artist

I like her playing here better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSkXlA37RtE

And this is a clip of the whole family playing together as a group so you'd
 likely have to invite all of them to play at SPAH (how do you tell a
small child the rest of her siblings don't 'qualify'?).

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLsogs1oNb0_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLsogs1oNb0)

 Lydia also plays piano (there are other clips of her doing so).  The video
you showed was from 2010--she's at least a year+ older,  now.

Obviously all four girls play instruments so their parents are likely
already steering their girls towards music lessons: Lydia is holding the
harmonica better in the Danny Boy video which implies some kind of  proper
instruction.

I'd suggest that she isn't 'quite' ready for a SPAH at this stage
(especially the 50th Anniversary) since most of the videos I've just watched of  her
playing solo are snippets of songs and small children tend to get lost  in
the shuffle at a SPAH unless it's the specific single matinee  morning. I
think she too might benefit far more a couple of years down the road,  don't
you think?

Observation over the years tells me that kids in the 12+ age  group seem to
stick with harmonica the longest and get the most out  of a SPAH (or other
harmonica Convention) adventure since smaller kids can  quickly become bored
with what seems to them the interminable and overall  'adult' theme. Of
course there are exceptions to every rule, but that's just my  humble opinion.

That said, I think she's adorable and hope she does stick with it to
become a phenomenal 21st Century woman harp player and all/round musician.

Elizabeth

"Message: 4