Re: [Harp-L] Entry level chromatic

Hi T,

I'd like to throw out an idea that you may not have been expecting.
The mention of your son's theory chops and the Lydian mode brought it
to mind.

Reading your email, I immediately thought that he might appreciate and
benefit from an alternate tuning.

I am specifically thinking of the Diminished Tuning.

When I started harmonica, I already had a Master's degree in music. I
put in a year on solo tuning but then switched to the Diminished Tuned
chromatic.

I found it, and still find it to be a fascinating, useful layout.

By its nature, it turns out that the C Lydian mode is a very natural
mode on the C Diminished Tuning - somewhat more so than the other
"majorish" modes - C Major or C Mixolydian.  However, truly there are
no bad keys on the Dimi.

There are many other interesting benefits to the Dimi - four evenly
spaced enharmonics, patterns that repeat themselves at a minor third
away, elimination of the side-by-side C's as found on solo tuning,
regularly spaced intervals, ability to half-valve, and so on.

If you'd like more info, you can read an article I wrote on the Dimi
for "Harmonica Happenings Magazine" here:
http://jasonharmonica.com/dimi.pdf

Just some food for thought.

Jason Rogers (aka chespernevins)

PS, alternate tunings aside, for an off the shelf chrom, the CX-12 is
so easy to maintain that it is a good candidate for a first chrom for
a grown musician - IMO