Re: [Harp-L] Scales reference for solo tuned chromatic

Everything you need is at:
Harp On! Chromatic Harmonica Reference

On Aug 30, 2012, at 7:00 AM, Lasse Høi wrote:

> Hello chromatic players!
>
> I've been playing diatonic for many years but have recently acquired a
> chromatic 12-hole in C. I plan to do jazz and classic in every possible key
> at some point.
>
> I want to do the groundwork properly first though. Having experience from
> the diatonic it's easy for me to do both pucker and tongue-block, but what
> I need to get moving is how to play the scales. Now I understand that there
> are several enharmonic tones on this instrument and thus more than one way
> to play a certain scale - what I would really like is some good fixed
> "fingerings" to start out with.
>
> Also, some good rules of thumb for playing pieces with least effort. E.g.
> if you have a choice between changing air flow or pushing the button which
> one would require less effort? (I would instinctively avoid the button
> whenever I could because I am still mostly a diatonic player, but I am not
> sure if this is better in the long run)

For speed, avoid changes in breath direction. The button is faster than your diaphragm.  However,  blow-F or draw-C can be break up a long series of notes in one breath direction to make breathing easier.

Vern