Re: [Harp-L] XB-40 report, Hohner Crossover question

My experience is that XB40s have poor airtightness out of the box. What I can add - sorry if I missed something and I actually repeat sg - look for burr at the reedplate hole edges. Remove it with a drill if there is any. Reedplates have no screws in the middle of the plate, only at the edges. This is not good, as there is no clamping force in the middle. This can cause airleaks. To stop this you either add a little curvature to the reedplate, and/or use some sort of sealant. My XB40-s are fully sealed with silicone. THey are 100% airtight and it was a huge improvement but I do not recomment the use of silicone, unless you have a syringe and a needle and a suitable silicon plus very good hands. I have sealed the gap between the reedplates and the comb, between the two comb halves, and the mouthpiece. For maximum performance, I would remove any burr, slightly cuve the reedplates, use some sort of non curing sealant (like lip balm) at every surface
 (reedplates, comb halves, mouthpiece) being careful not to get any of this substance into the reedslots and finally do some regapping and embossing. This will result in a dramatic improvement, I guarantee that.

________________________________
From: Trip Henderson <trip.tunes@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:45 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] XB-40 report, Hohner Crossover question

Here's a follow up to my previous question as to what to expect from
Hohner's customer service after receiving a poorly tuned XB-40 (from
Elderly Instruments who do not take returns on "mouth instruments"). Hohner
was great, they replaced the instrument, no questions asked, quick turn
around. Yeah Hohner!

Now, how do I get this thing more airtight? I work on my Filisko/Sleigh
harps (tune, change reeds) but have not had to emboss, etc. Any advice
greatly appreciated.

A friend asked me to work on his MB Crossover, key of D. Are the parts in
these harps the same psychical dimensions as standard Marine Bands?

Thanks for the know how!

--
Trip Henderson
www.youtube.com/user/tripharmonica