RE: [Harp-L] Sharp Harp?

> Subject: [Harp-L] Sharp Harp?
>
> I must be real bored today because I got out my Peterson strobe and checked the pitch on a few of my out of the box Crossovers. They're all sharp by about 20 cents. The thirds are only 10-13 cents sharp (expected from the compromise tuning), but the rest are around 20 cents. Okay, my 2 draw wasn't quite as sharp as my 3 blow, but within a couple of cents. Covers are stamped A440. Tuner is set to A440. What gives?  Are the Crossovers really tuned to A440?  My Peterson is dead-on with an A440 tuning fork.
>
> RKR

I've never bought a harp that was tuned exactly to A440. In my experience, which is mostly playing up close and acoustically with a bunch of blokes who mostly use cheap tuners set to A440 for their guitars, fiddles, mandos, etc., I prefer my harps to be around A442 to A443. My ear, for what it's worth, doesn't pick up a harp as "sharp" versus other instruments unless it's at A444 or higher. I'm talking overall, not for individual reeds in Just or intermediate tunings, which can distress my poor brain somewhat (that "flat" 5-blow for example), which is why I go for equal temperament for melody playing.