Re: [Harp-L] Tool for tuning harps (Sources)

The tool is an engraving pen with a diamond bit. I think most of them use a 3/32" collet to hold the diamond bit. I prefer the Micro-Mark style to the General Tool style because it is somewhat less bulky in my hand. You can substitute Shofu polishers or Dremel polishers for the diamond bit. I have 3 on my workbench; one has the diamond bit (for stainless steel reeds); one has a Shofu Brownie polishing wheel (thanks to Mike "Fathead" Easton for the recommendation!), and one has a larger diameter polishing wheel that I got from a musician friend who works in a jewelry store. I've also substituted Dremel polishers at various times. I prefer to use polishing to retune rather than the engraving bit because it doesn't "scratch" the surface as badly, but the diamond bit works nicely for stainless steel. A polishing wheel takes a VERY LONG TIME on stainless steel to get a reed in tune. The nice thing about using Dremel polishing wheels is that they are readily available locally. Shofu Brownies have to be ordered in quantities of 12, IIRC; I got mine from Otto Frei. They are not individually expensive (a few dollars) but 12 will last a LONG time unless you are a serious repairer/customizer with a lot of business.

Kinya Pollard (http://harmonicasessions.com/?p=25) has a Harmonica Workbench article on using the Micro-Mark tool.

Different versions are available through several sources. You can also get replacement diamond bits.

Micro-Mark
http://www.micromark.com/cordless-powered-detail-engraver,9406.html

                            Item #: 84446
Cordless Powered Detail Engraver

                                    List Price: $26.25

                                    Sale Price: $17.50

Harbor Freight Tools
http://www.harborfreight.com/micro-engraver-98227.html
Chicago Electric - item#98227
Micro Engraver

                                Only:

                        $9.99

                        Sale:

                            $7.9

Lowe's Hardware
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=349147-56005-505&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3361328&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
Item #: 349147 |
	Model #:
			505
General Tools & Instruments 7" Cordless Precision Engraver

								$19.98
Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-505-Cordless-Precision/dp/B004YK66NMGeneral Tools 505 Cordless Precision Engraver with Diamond Tip BitList Price:
    $19.99
Price: $14.28

General Tools
http://www.generaltools.com/505--POWER-PRECISION-ENGRAVER_p_1499.html
505 - Power Precision Engraver
Your Price: $19.96

You might also check with crafts stores for cordless engraving tools. WalMart sells a fingernail polishing tool that does essentially the same thing.

Happy Harp Tuning!
Crazy Bob