RE: [Harp-L] How Does William Clarke Do It? Chromatic 6 Hole Draw Wail

That is a diatonic. My mentor was good friends with Clarke and he would
switch often. He really liked messin with harp players too.

-----Original Message-----
From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jp Pagán
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:30 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] How Does William Clarke Do It? Chromatic 6 Hole Draw
Wail

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ColdRail <gwoodhouse40@...> wrote:

> We all know that the man was an absolute fabulous player but I have a
> specific question......My band has been playing his great chromatic
> jump tune "Blowin' Like Hell" and pulling it off pretty well but I can
> not really get that 6 hole draw bending wail that he plays around 1:11
> on the recorded version from his record of the same name.

I'm gonna hazard a guess here for fun. I have the track on my computer and
I've listened to it a few times:

 I think he's switching to a diatonic right at that point. a.) there's a
nice little pause right before that line and another one about 10 seconds
later. b.) in between those two pauses, it sounds like the tone changes just
a bit. a little more driven, a little.... tighter. I think it's a diatonic.

I'd like to see if those who know Clarke's playing better than agree or not.
I know wails can be done on the chromatic?I'm not saying that can't. I just
think in this case he switched...

-JP

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ColdRail <gwoodhouse40@...> wrote:

> We all know that the man was an absolute fabulous player but I have a
> specific question......My band has been playing his great chromatic jump
> tune "Blowin' Like Hell" and pulling it off pretty well but I can not
> really get that 6 hole draw bending wail that he plays around 1:11 on the
> recorded version from his record of the same name.  I can get a paltry
> immitation of it with a little bit of vibrato and shallow bending but I
> can't seem to get quite enough bend before the reed chokes out.  In fact a

> couple of days ago I was working on this very note and trying different
> tongue positions, mouth cavity shapes, and pressures and had the reed fail

> on my CX-12 Bb.  I doubt it was just this session that caused the failure
> but it probably is me trying to wail this note for the last year that
> shortened the life of this reed.  Mr. Clarke employed this same wail in
> some of his other recorded chromatic tunes.  Is there something in the
> setup (like windsaver removal) that allowed him to get that degree of
> bending?  Is a more traditional Hohner chrom more bendable versus the
> CX-12?  Or is it just the magic that we allow know Bill possessed?
>
> Thanks, Glenn

--Jp