Re: [Harp-L] Re: Mike Fugazzi (was Recommendations)

An enormous thank you for all the positive mentions this week!  I am very
humbled and very grateful for all the support!!!  My goal in both sharing
info online, going to events, working on harps, and sharing my playing has
been to help move the instrument forward and to inspire others to really
push themselves with the instrument we love.

I had a fabulous time at SPAH and it was a super successful trip from a
business standpoint as well as a personal one!  I am super psyched about
the continued partnership with Matthew Smart and what that will bring in
the new year, and I am thrilled with the response to our custom work.
Those of you who attended our workshops have an idea of what we've been
gearing up for for the last year.

The last two years have been a bit crazy for me in the real world (not
necessarily a bad thing), and those at SPAH witnessed some of that first
hand as I had phone interviews while there, etc, lol. To update people on
the situation, I resigned from my day job yesterday and took a new position
(not the one I was on the phone for at SPAH).  While a fantastic move for
my family and career, it puts a huge strain on any real gigging in the near
future.

In addition, I am making a VERY aggressive push to do more with customizing
harmonicas, which will be easier for me to juggle now, and considering
myself semi-retired from live performing beyond harmonica-specific events
(and I am done with grad school, and I work better hours, and I have more
resources).

Not only am I teamed up with Matthew Smart, but I am now offering a
fantastic Seydel stainless steel harmonica. I did research and design on
this for over a year working with some of the top players endorsed by
Seydel.  This includes both a traditional and OVERBEND setup. I will be so
bold as to say people will be blown away by the overbend model.  I was able
to get a lot of feedback from world-class players at SPAH as well as
Seydel.  The method and materials I am working with are going to allow for
a very fast turnaround time compared to brass, and give the player a lot of
flexibility in their playing.

I've also worked with Matthew to really perfect the handmade Hohners I work
with for both overbend and non-overbend players. Working with him will also
help cut the huge lead times I've had on the combs I've tried to use in the
past, and has let me do some cool things with the asthetics of the harp. We
have also been able to really solidify our techniques for optimal
performance for players of different styles.  He's a hardcore blues tongue
blocker and I am a hardcore overbend rocker making it very easy to relate
to the wealth of styles out there!

I'll be the first to say you can't go wrong with a handful of the
customizers out there, and have even referred possible clients to some of
these guys.  They do fantastic work, are easy to work with, and in the end
it comes down to personal preference and expectations.

This weekend I am wrapping up a number of my summer orders and choosing to
focus on only top-end builds for handmade Hohners and stainless steel
Seydels.  I will not be offering levels beyond my best traditional and best
overbend set-ups.  I will be offering completed harps when I can in all
models, but only when they are ready to ship next day (working on a C
Golden Melody and A Marine Band currently).  These two will only be top-end
builds or what I like to call "prototypes".

I am offering 10% off any Seydel builds through Labor Day. They come with a
choice of tuning and comb, and have a lead time of about 2 months.  Thanks
again for all the love and support.  I am blessed to work with such a great
community and such wonderful people!!!!

Mike