[Harp-L] Subject: Jason Ricci 'Goin' to California' and Skype lessons

<This is for all of those who might be new to Harp-l and believe the hype
<that Jason is simply a 'fast' player whose notes 'go nowhere'. They actually
<go  somewhere, but faster than some folks' ears seem capable of following.
<He is SO  much more than simply a 'fast player' as his playing here proves.

The thing that impresses me most about Jason is his ability to build intensity over very long periods of time, in a song and in a set.  I heard it first in an 18-minute live version of "Whammer Jammer," which held my attention the whole time.  I heard it again in his performance at SPAH in Sacramento, where he played with a (very good) pickup band, and brought the intensity up song by song until he finished in a beautiful roar.

It's not all about fast with Jason.  That's just one of the things he does to bring up the temperature.  Increasing his use of FX as the set progresses is another. I could go on, but you get the point.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick