Re: [Harp-L] Cleaning chromatic reedplates

The part near the rivet is seldom responsible for the sticking so skipping it does little harm. You can use a strip of newsprint instead of a Q-tip.  Insert it then press down lightly with a fingertip as it is withdrawn.  That should avoid bending. Cleaning a misbehaving windsaver is a half-measure and the improvement in performance is likely to be temporary.  Most sticking can be attributed to condensation and not to gunk.

I recommend removing the valve, cleaning and waxing the plate with Johnson's paste floor wax (no soft waxes please) and installing a new valve.  See http://www.newharmonica.com for new valves.

Vern