Re: [Harp-L] Jerry Portnoy Beginning Blues Harp Lessons on YouTube

Mike Caren wrote:

Over the past year Jerry and I have worked with a lot of students at Sonic
Junction and found that making sure people understand and know the basic
techniques is key to their success.

Along those lines, we've decided to put Jerry's first set of beginner
lessons on YouTube so people can study and learn at their leisure ... and
get to know Jerry as teacher.

Introduction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytCBc-zg6_s

Lesson 1: Chord Rhythm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwhscer1cQc

Lesson 2: Lip Pursing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMwZuSBtf9g

Lesson 3: Tongue Blocking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Easz_TU5lO0

Lesson 4: Bending
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csY91mkFeEc

Feel free to pass the links along to anyone you feel may be interested in
them.

I'm a huge fan of Jerry's Masterclass CD set. In fact I wrote the first review on Amazon way back when (I'm "silverwingit" there), and it's rare that I'm enthusiastic enough abut a product to write a review. Jerry's CD set was what really opened the door to the world of harmonica for me. I had doggedly worked with the other products of the day (no Youtube back then) but for various reasons kept hitting a brick wall. Jerry's mastery of the instrument coupled with his relaxed, super-informative, right-to-the-point teaching style make this a slam dunk for new harpers. Now I find its an excellent teaching tool. It's great to be able to guide a student through the lessons and let them practice to them on their own (of course I could probably make more money teaching without this tool because it would prolong the process...). Whether I take on a new student or simply advise one, it's always the same answer: Jerry Portnoy's Masterclass CD set.

Obviously I'm a big fan of the CD set, but watching and listening to Jerry teach makes for an even better learning experience. I'm elated that Jerry Mike are starting to make these lessons available on Youtube in "living color." I enthusiatically recommend that they don't stop with the first few. I think that if they put up the whole Masterclass it would guide even more new students to his more recent offerings on "Sonic Junction," which is the obvious motive for starting with the first few. The lessons are "timeless;" and are still very relevant even in today's world of Youtube and on-line, interactive harmonica lesson web sites.

So, if you haven't already, y'all ought to take gander at what Jerry and Mike have served up on Youtube. If you're new, you'll see for yourself what I am talking about. If you're teaching, have your students take a look. If they are anything like I was, you'll soon see that "lightbulb" look on their faces, and that's what it's all about for me now that I'm a teacher. And I certainly couldn't have imagined ever saying ~that~ when I started up Jerry's first CD many moons ago! Thank you Jerry Portnoy!

Encore, Jerry and Mike!

Michelle