Re: [Harp-L] Puckering [(An aside: U-Blocking is a rather limiting technique(?)]

Perhaps it is more accurate to say that some people have a genetic
predisposition that prevents them from getting much use out of the
U-block.  Having had several students who really did not seem to manage
enough from their tongue to get the U-block to work for them, including one
whose tongue most curiously forked when he tried to curl it, I can say that
some people are predisposed for that embouchure to be difficult, if not
impossible for them.  I can also say that the "pucker" has to be severely
modified in my case, since my lips do not seem to work well in that
embouchure.  So far, I can teach it to others, but I cannot play well with
it -- not like I can with tongue blocking and the U-block.  I continue to
try to work with it, though.  Perhaps I will get that embouchure to work
better for me.

You are correct, though, that you do not have to completely curl your
tongue, but can operate fine with a gentle curvature that allows you
control of which hole(s) you wish.  It has advantages and disadvantages,
but, then, all of them do.  I encourage all students to work with each and
try to learn to control each, because the different embouchures can
complement each other if you learn to use them interchangeably.  (I do
think that the forked tongue fellow may have an interesting advantage and
disadvantage given his tongue's tendencies.  I would like to see him years
from now after he has it all under control, if he is still playing, and see
what he can do.)

Cara