[Harp-L] Cover Charge in General

I'm a little confused by Smokey Joe's comment that a cover charge is a way for a club not to pay talent. I think that's too big a generality. In this country it is normal for a club to charge a cover for a touring band and more popular local bands. In fact one of the most common deals is a percentage of the door or even a percentage against a guarantee. The percentage can vary but 80% to the artist isn't too uncommon. The 20 % isn't necessarily pure profit for the bar. They have to pay for extra staff as just one factor. The band, depending on the draw, can do quite well out of a straight door take. I've played places where we even got 100% of the door but with no guarantee and still did quite well out of it. Especially small town bars where the cover is standard and all the regulars are used to it.

When there is a just a guarantee with no cut of the door what's wrong with a cover to defray that cost or even to hope for a bit of profit? If there's no return on investment the business fails and no ones got a gig. And it's no different than any concert you ever had to buy a ticket to in your life. And if the guarantee is too small or the bar is taking way more on the door than the band takes, well whose fault is that? Did somebody put a gun to someone's head and force them to take the gig?

There's a movement in Portland, Oregon, if I remember right, called Fair Trade Music. It's basically an agreement by the clubs to pay a certain minimum percentage or guarantee. For that they get branded as a Fair Trade Music venue. The locals know what the program is about through promotion and hopfully choose to patronize those venues.. Its like Fair Trade Coffee and other products where the producers have been getting screwed but there are consumers who are happy to effect change if they know what's happening and you make it easy for them. There's more to it of course. You can Google Fair Trade Music and find the details.

I actually don't know how well FTM works but it is at least its an idea. As some bright spark once said, "If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem."