Subject: [Harp-L] Audience response

Hi Robert:

Since you're at SPAH I believe you're talking about one or  more
performances either at the Blow-Off or during an evening  performance?

Let me explain it this way since it's your first SPAH: even the top pro
players still find it intimidating to appear in front of an audience of  their
peers. Ask any of them: they know THAT audience in particular can hear
what a typical audience cannot so it makes even the tiniest flub or error
hugely  magnified (at least in their minds). Conversely, a good performance in
front of  such a 'critical' audience can be considered even better than it
actually would  be 'on the outside'. As one brilliant player told me: I know
that in that  audience are people who can do everything I can do--only better,
and  they've been doing it far longer. Of COURSE I'm nervous!

It also just might be that the person playing is held in immense  respect
by his/her peers, is very well known by the other members there and/or  has
something 'else' going on in his/her life about which you have no idea, so
the applause could be given for the added courage it took to get up on  that
stage to play - even 'adequately'. Possible?

SPAH isn't about showing off or 'fresh, new and difficult'. The BEST part
of SPAH is in the connections and camaraderie--the friendship and bonding,
and  even in the ordinary playing of those who might never have gotten
onstage  before.

Elizabeth

"Message: 1