Subject: Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Meatwhistle?! I got yer euphemism right here!

That does sound plausible, Brian. Nice to hear your perspective.

I'm interested because when we came to the States my father's accent was so
 thick very few people could understand anything he said. They'd  politely
pretend though, and he'd hold forth about the Celtics and  Rangers (that's
pronounced SELtics, btw: Glasgow's football team --don't  dare try to tell
him it was called soccer here) 'you kick the ball--it's  FOOTball; case
closed!'

He was a delightful human being and when I began playing harmonica at  4 I
didn't think much about what it was called but as I got to be a  young
teenager and his hearing difficulties made his speech louder ....it  got to be an
embarrassment to have my Dad announce at  full voice that his daughter
played what for all the world sounded to  others like a 'moot-organ, och aye'
and his 'gie us a tune there, wee  yin'. My humiliated wails of Da-a-ad never
fazed him but the twinkle in his  eye told me he knew just exactly how his
accent was colouring folks'  impressions, and their sighs of relief when I
merely produced a small chromatic  harmonica.<G>

Elizabeth
PS: Hey, John: my Dad's Uncle lived in Rutherglen and we'd visit as often
as practicable waay back when. It's a small world.

zen33569 writes:

"Could it be a derivative of the german  'mundharmonika'??
Brian"