[Harp-L] While you're waiting for SPAH (or wishing you were going)...

I've posted my first live audio of me playing with my new acoustic power trio: Brian Maw on acoustic guitar and vocals, myself on harmonica, and Eli Markham on percussion (in this case, djembe).  The tune is an original Brian Maw composition, "Buried in Me," and is of course copyright 2012 Brian Maw, all rights reserved.

You can hear this recording at: http://www.hunterharp.com/?p=1002

The harmonica here (a Hohner CX12 chromatic in C, played in the key of Bb minor) is played through a Fireball V mic into the Digitech RP355 running my FMA_4D patch: a Matchless amp model with a pitch shift set to a perfect 4th down, with slapback delay added for flavor.  This patch produces a big harmonica ensemble sound, and as you can hear on this admittedly rough recording (plenty of crowd noise, folks), it fills out a trio nicely.  The added 4th down is especially big-sounding on octaves, where it creates a power chord that's spread out over an interval of an 11th (octave plus a 4th), with both roots and 5ths doubled.  The RP355 goes directly to the PA via mono 1/4" out, and the whole band is recorded via my Zoom H4, positioned in front of a PA speaker. (Did I mention that there's plenty of crowd noise?)

This patch is especially effective on minor keys, where the added 4th down doesn't create any dissonances that clash with the harmony.

Enjoy!

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick