Subject: [Harp-L] Worthy of Consideration?

While it is reasonably collectible, Kelly--that's an awful lot of  money.
I'd have to see more and better photos from all angles and  actually see the
condition--know if the body has major cracks in it (they  usually do).

You still CAN find them occasionally on EBay for much less. Here's one I
just found in G:

_http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-M-Hohner-Super-chromonica-Chromatic-Harmoni
ca-/390444145206?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae848da36_
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-M-Hohner-Super-chromonica-Chromatic-Harmonica-/390444145206
?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae848da36)

 Yes, the one you're looking at might be older and claims to be  prewar
(verify that by the 'star') but I'm always skeptical when someone claims  that
it 'sounds/works great'. In the past I'd gotten a couple of old and
collectible pre-wars described that way which were so rusted and with frozen
slides--obviously no way did anyone play them to see if they actually  did 'sound
great'. They were purely worth it for historical value but had been
subjected to water damage. The mildew odour was awful (and I paid less than  $30).

Did someone actually put their mouths on something this old(and usually
really grungy) to test it? You might inquire about that.

Repairing a cracked comb (the 'cosmetic' crack on the back of a comb
invariably runs clean through)...requires finesse and fixing while at least one
reed plate is still attached else it'll warp and be nearly impossible to
re-assemble. Notice that there isn't a single photo of the back of the EBay
one  for its $30. price.

With all of that it's certainly worth taking a look at since it's  local,
and if it's AS bad as I think, then pass on it or offer much less.  Who
knows, the Seller could have other harmonicas for sale. But even on EBay  people
have the idea that old automatically translates to 'valuable' and have no
real idea of actual value.

But please don't play it until/unless it's been thoroughly cleaned, and
don't handle it without gloves. Shine a flashlight inside--you can't imagine
what might be lurking in there. Fair warning (Mama spiders do find old
combs neat places to hatch their broods).<G>

Elizabeth

PS: I realize this all sounds very skeptical, but I've been there back in
my 'collecting' days. It'd have to be extremely special and pristine to
spark my  interest or to be worth $100,imho.

Message: 10