Re: [Harp-L] Distorted harmonica versus Clean harmonica sound question

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Randy Singer <randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do YOU feel you can play hard core blues all night armed with only a mike?

That's a great question Randy! (And you probably HAVE your answer in mind)

I work regular Duos (with two different guitar player/vocalists) and use
both processed bullet, and clean vocal mic to PA.  I like the variety, and
the change in tone keeps it from becoming monotonous for me, and the
audience too.

If anyone is putting the "true test of an authentic player" on you, walk
away. There's room for all of us to express. When I began to
include alternate tunings, a few of the old guard in town thought it was
"cheating." (A couple of them are still playing stock MB's, working real
hard at it, and feeling very "authentic." To each, his own.)

I generally play clean mic sound when my partner grabs his Steel bodied
National and slide, and when he introduces a song with historical identity.
More modern, City, and Chicago blues (with guitar) can benefit from the
bullet, and from a slap echo. When he gets VERY funky,  I'll play the
auto-wah (envelope filter), Leslie organ FX, or octave down.

I'm a big believer in change from song to song. The Key, Tempo and groove,
harp styles. (A habit from my FM radio DJ Programming days..."never more
than one song away from one you REALLY like.")

Robert Hale

See you at SPAH2012

Spiral Advocate

Learn Harmonica by Webcam